Saturday, December 29, 2012

Roasted Roots

My stepmother made roasted vegetables similar to these for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. It was the first time I had ever been introduced to a parsnip. It occurred to me that perhaps you had never met either, so I thought I would share this super simple, yet tasty, dish.

First, meet parsnip...
Yes, it looks like an albino carrot, so I treated it the same and peeled it before I got cubing.

I added sweet potatoes, white potatoes and some onion. I would have put some carrots in as well, but I forgot to buy them this time around. I cut my pieces fairly small, as you can see, because I was baking a ham at a low temperature and wanted to make sure these would be done. (I was going to cook them ahead of time, but got distracted by cookies or something.) Toss the diced veggies with some olive oil and a little bit of sea salt and ground pepper.
I baked these at 350 for about an hour, stirring a few times. They were very well done. These did not get crusty like my potatoes usually do when I roast them at a higher temperature, but they were yummy. The boys did not notice the parsnips, but my daughter picked hers out (because she is the only one who knew they were in there). She also missed out on some potatoes thinking she was eradicating parsnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment