Tuesday, July 24, 2012

roasted eggplant with herbs

I found this recipe for roasted eggplant with herbs via a cooking light email
it sounded tasty {and vegetarian!} so I thought I'd give it a go

4 small eggplants (about 13 ounces)
2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary


1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Cut each eggplant into 1/4-inch slices, cutting to, but not through, stem end. Fan eggplants, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush 1 1/2 tablespoons oil evenly over eggplant slices. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes; remove from oven. Press eggplants gently to fan slices. Brush eggplants with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until flesh is tender and edges are browned and slightly crisp.
3. Drizzle remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil evenly over eggplants; sprinkle with herbs.
and now for a photo montage....

eggplant!


Photobucket

olive oiled up
Photobucket
first round of baking
Photobucket
and my finished product
*** I would like to note that I adapted the herbs to use what I had on hand which included basil, rosemary and a mediterranean mix
Photobucket

{and for the record... the way theirs looked}
Photobucket


It was pretty darn tasty! both my chicklets loved it- the flavor and texture were spot on. 
I did make the comment that next time I would take off the peel and puree it into a dip of some sort.
overall I give it a solid thumbs up!


1 comment:

  1. LOVE eggplant! To bad nobody else in the family does :(

    ReplyDelete